Rising Wolf
Rising Wolf
Rising Wolf
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The original RP about a high school for martial arts

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 295 on Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:13 pm
Affiliates

---

is this a dagger I see before me? [Private/Training]

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Inari Heureux

Inari Heureux

Credits : 81075

Character Sheet
Stats:
Student Info Card:
Augments:

is this a dagger I see before me? [Private/Training] Empty
PostSubject: is this a dagger I see before me? [Private/Training]   is this a dagger I see before me? [Private/Training] EmptyWed Jul 05, 2017 4:17 am

forging Compassion and Kindness
    In the process of designing himself a means to offensive weaponry, Inari had never truly attempted to contemplate the rigours of such an undertasking, instead preferring to remain cognizant of the end goal to truly maintain motivation and push himself through the minor hindrances and inconveniences which often frustrated the name of glorious progress. Inhaling gently through the mouth, the palid Blacksmith splashed water on his face with cupped hands, the liquid dripping through the cracks betwixt his fingers as he did so. Desperately attempting to escape their fate even as he drove the captured essence of the rivers, salt lakes, ponds, dams and oceans into his face and the fringe of his hairline. The coolant eased the flush of effort beading his brow as Inari untied his hair for the moment of respite he allowed himself and shook the mane of achromatic keratin until he felt appropriately adjusted towards the centrifuge of temperamental stability. Growling to himself, Inari stalked back over to the fire as the metal was heated. Returning a sizable portion of his hair to the constrains of slavery, enforced by the black band of elastic material, only differentiated from itself by the small silver metal clip which marred the otherwise perfect circular loop. A beginning, Inari murmured to himself as he looked down at the lump of pig iron which was presented to him. Forging can produce a piece that is stronger than an equivalent cast or machined part. As the metal is shaped during the forging process, its internal grain deforms to follow the general shape of the part. As a result, the grain is continuous throughout the part, giving rise to a piece with improved strength characteristics. Additionally, forgings can target a lower total cost when compared to a casting or fabrication. When you consider all the costs that are involved in a product’s lifecycle from procurement to lead time to rework, then factor in the costs of scrap, downtime and further quality issues, the long-term benefits of forgings can outweigh the short-term cost-savings that castings or fabrications might offer. Some metals may be forged cold, but iron and steel are almost always hot forged. Hot forging prevents the work hardening that would result from cold forging, which would increase the difficulty of performing secondary machining operations on the piece. As Inari’s end result was to have workable steel for his three blades, Kindness, Compassion and Unity. A threesome by whose virtues he would strive to do his best to uphold and maintain within his own realm of influence. Of course now, the first stage of this adventure would be to shape the metallic clay before him as a mighty manipulator of the undead would a fresh corpse. In any such project, the tang of the blade which would later serve as the handle for his chi to grip onto. Ensuring to stray away from any strikes which would promote the formation of sharp angles from pommel to hilt, Inari carved away the identity of the objection which currently sat as a reminder of everything incorrect in the universe: useless, shapeless, without purpose or direction. And ultimately for all these virtues that it lacked, it also lacked beauty. Unforgivable, but with these steps he felt confidence bloom for its future. Redemption smiled hazily on the horizon, still yet obscured by odd clouds of probability, gripped by the fell clutch of chance. Practising what was referred to as open-die forgery, Inari’s hammer strikes slowly deformed the work piece until it better fitted the shape of mental mold which the Blacksmith had crafted such the individual work piece. Open-die forging gets its name from the fact that the dies (the surfaces that are in contact with the workpiece) do not enclose the workpiece, allowing it to flow except where contacted by the dies. The operator therefore needs to orient and position the workpiece to get the desired shape. The dies are usually flat in shape, but some have a specially shaped surface for specialized operations. For example, a die may have a round, concave, or convex surface or be a tool to form holes or be a cut-off tool. Open-die forgings can be worked into shapes which include discs, hubs, blocks, shafts (including step shafts or with flanges), sleeves, cylinders, flats, hexes, rounds, plate, and some custom shapes. Open-die forging lends itself to short runs and is appropriate for art smithing and custom work. In some cases, open-die forging may be employed to rough-shape ingots to prepare them for subsequent operations. Open-die forging may also orient the grain to increase strength in the required direction. Now, Inari was required to draw out the shape of the blade to suit his specifications. Something which would prove difficult as he was as of yet uncertain as to the specifics that he wished to see imposed upon the words global image, yet was assured of his desire to enforce wholesome uniformity on the weapons. Deciding to favour the natural designs in a distinctly unnatural icon, a symbol which stood for destruction and warcraft that would be given the name of something better benefiting a panacea for all of the worlds woes. In some respects, Inari could admit to the contradicts inherent in such a decision but for the life of him was loathe to part with the ideals. Whenever he wielded these ideals in battle, it would always be for the right purpose and as such he would always be aware of his goals. Needless destruction never solved any problems, he reflected as the hammer etched away the abhorrence of the metals unformed body and slowly revealed the marvel of Compassion, ready to be consumed by the Moon – which buzzed in excitement over his shoulder. Smiling grimly to himself, Inari smote the blade once more ‘til its very essence shone with vitality and only then could he content himself to bestow the title of Compassion to it. Turning back to the forge, he began to work on the other two blades, tirelessly slaving over the heated mettle ‘til the wee hours of the morn – when his back ached with prolonged labour and his arm’s bones rumbled with remembrance for the echoing strikes Inari had dropped down, one after the other.
    [1056]

Last edited by Inari Heureux on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Inari Heureux

Inari Heureux

Credits : 81075

Character Sheet
Stats:
Student Info Card:
Augments:

is this a dagger I see before me? [Private/Training] Empty
PostSubject: Re: is this a dagger I see before me? [Private/Training]   is this a dagger I see before me? [Private/Training] EmptyWed Jul 05, 2017 5:02 am

forging Strength and Endurance
    Slow was the thoughts that trickled through Inari as he sat still, considering the design before him. The completion of the trinity of swords pleased him, and they currently lay stored inside the Moon, which breezed beside him like a leftover thought of some ancient civilisation. Running his fingers over his face, Inari considered his placement of effort and came to the eventual unpleasant conclusion that he was procrastinating. Producing material which resided within the catergorical defintion of ‘heavy armour’ was often a time consuming proceedure, but the toll was not only found within the grains of the hourglass, but also the mitocondira of the cell, within the pyruvate pathway of energy production within the body and the unplesant signs of overuse that glared back in the mirror the following morning. Inari sighed to himself, amused, in some respects it appeared the shield he that currently only existed purely within the mental purview was already testing his worth – just as the swords already had done. Smirking to himself, he lay a hand on the block of material, currently lying cold and without empathy for the outside world. This meaningless clumping of matter still irked something within him but after the frenzy of effort he had worked himself into three nights prior he no longer could sustain the all-consuming desire to see such a thing changed, worked into a unique identiy and provided with purpose and direction and the means to pursue such ends. Albeit via proxy of the inidivual, but such arguments were naught but semantics in the scheme of things and a lowly blacksmith like he had no right to question whether it was the blade which swung the swordsman or the other way around. Striding into the forge, Inari clasped the bellows in both hands and begun to work the great artifical lungs until the forge glowed red hot and droplets of molten exertion lined his forehead. Turning his gaze to consider the aspect and virtue of the pig steel he had before him, Inari laboured it from the pallet it lay on and without thoroughfare dropped it onto the tray and shoved it into the furnace of the forge. For a time he simply allowed the artefact to accrue heat, growing cherry pink and black flecks of impurity glaring like splashes of error across an otherwise perfect painting. Sliding the tray out, Inari went about breaking apart the material until it lay in seven differently sized chunks and it was returned to the furnace to further recrystallise before he continued with the process. Metal forging, specifically, can strengthen the material by sealing cracks and closing empty spaces within the metal. The hot forging process will highly reduce or eliminate inclusions in the forged part by breaking up impurities and redistributing their material throughout the metal work. However, controlling the bulk of impurities in the metal should be a consideration of the earlier casting process. Inclusions can cause stress points in the manufactured product, something to be avoided. Forging a metal will also alter the metal's grain structure with respect to the flow of the material during its deformation, and like other forming processes, can be used to create favorable grain structure in a material greatly increasing the strength of forged parts. It was for these reasons that Inari sought to manufacture his own material, so as to provide himself with marked advantages of merely sourcing otherwise pliable metal but one which was ultimately designed for another purpose and thusly could never adequately service his own dream in the entirety of its being. For this particular project, Inari decided to employ a technique known as impression forging, which involved compression of a work piece by the use of impression die, (a mold), that contain cavities that act to restrict the flow of metal within the die during the deformation of the work. The metal will fill the space within the die cavity as it is plastically compressed into the mold. Closing of the mold completes the deformation, hence impression die forging is also referred to as closed die forging. The forged metal part will now have the geometric dimensions of the mold, provided a complete filling of the die cavity occurred during the process. The operation of forcing metal to flow into and fill the impressions in the die will also alter the grain structure of the metal. The creation of favorable grain structure through controlled material deformation should always be a consideration in the design of an impression die forging process. A characteristic of this particular style Inari sought to curry favour with was the volume of the starting work piece is made slightly higher than that of the closed die cavity. As the die close, and the work metal flows into and fills the contours of the impression, some excess material will flow out of the die and into the area between the two die. This will form a thin plane of metal all around the work at the parting line, (where the two die meet when they close), of the forged product. This meant that the lines in the shield where the two plates would otherwise touch were effectively sealed by the excess material of the product, to the point where they would strength and reinforce the other when pressure was applied to them. This was something that Inari would replicate with Endurance as well as Strength, as the two were designed to be complimentary products as their origin stories stemmed from the same vein of metal and were reborn like phoenixes in the same crucible of purpose and by the same being who shook off the crust of lethargy and gave birth to twin kite shields. Albeit neither shape was permeable or permanent. Fortunately this project had not consumed the same amount of time as the other, and Inari was able to leave the smeltery before the sun kissed the nether lips of the horizon and vanished entirely from sight. Another day, another victory. For the time being this would be the most he would be able to gain from his Blacksmith knowledge base, something he hoped to expand on as time went on.

[1032]
Back to top Go down

is this a dagger I see before me? [Private/Training]
Page 1 of 1